Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Cruising Bermuda

Well dunk me in chocolate and call me a Kit Kat! How the heck is everybody? Here I am, back from the trip the Missus and I took to beautiful Bermuda (and I do mean Beautiful). We spent two days in Hamilton and two in St. George and I must say, I fell in love with St. George. Not that there was anything wrong with Hamilton, but it is more like a pastel-colored shopping mall than anything else. St. George was a beautiful, old world-style town with lovely cobblestone roads and small shops. All around are beautiful homes with amazing beaches and crystal clear water.

Hamilton was good, in that it was the first place we stopped in Bermuda, so it was our first chance to see the island up close and personal like. We took a leisurely stroll around town, and were quite pleased to find a variety of shops bearing a vast array of British confections, odd breakfast cereals, Cuban cigars and Coca-Cola made with SUGAR!

For the uninformed in the demographic, the United States bottlers of Coca-Cola stopped using sugar as its' chief sweetener back in the early 80's. Well, in Bermuda, they still make Coke with good old cane sugar. It still tastes the way it did when I was a kid, and it even smells the way it did when I was a kid. So while the rest of the folks on the The Zenith were sneaking duty-free bottles of Liquor and cigareets past customs, Mon and I were smuggling in four six packs of the demon Sugar Coke!

The cruise itself was extraordinary. Being our first cruise, we immediately fell into the groove of being pampered and stuffed all day long. The buffets and adult beverages fly fast and furious. I can't say enough good things about the staff of the Zenith - they really treat people like royalty. For the first time in about five years, I don't have that knot in my neck.

No comments:

Behind The Wall of Sheep

I love the Smithereens and I always have, since the first time I heard the "Especially for You"LP back in the summer of 1986. WHOT...