Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Phil Rizzuto – 1917-2007

Longtime Yankees announcer and shortstop Phill Rizzuto passed away earlier today at the age of 89 after a long illness.

It’s funny…I had just been thinking about Phil on Old Timer's Day...I knew he was in bad shape and I was wondering how much time he had left.If you grew up in New York City in the 70s, you probably think fondly of the days when you could walk around the neighborhood streets and from everyone's front porch or backyard you could hear the sounds of Phil, Bill White and Frank Messer. The Yankees were returning to prominence, on the precipice of a Dynasty, and the Yankees ruled NYC. Rizzuto, White and Messer were the soundtrack of your summers.

Hopefully Frank is waiting for Phil with a microphone in hand.

Rest in peace, Scooter - you were one of a kind...

No comments:

Behind The Wall of Sheep

I love the Smithereens and I always have, since the first time I heard the "Especially for You"LP back in the summer of 1986. WHOT...